Waltons World Masters / RTÉ lyric fm Nationwide Gospel Competition
Win the opportunity to perform at the National Concert Hall
as support act for the legendary Blind Boys of Alabama!
Waltons World Masters welcomes The Blind Boys of Alabama to Dublin and the National Concert Hall on Monday, 31 January 2011. Ireland has its own great tradition of gospel music, and one very special aspect of this concert is that the support act will be chosen from Irish gospel choirs and ensembles by a nationwide competition. The winning choir/ensemble will perform a set of up to 40 minutes’ duration before The Blind Boys of Alabama take to the stage.
All gospel choirs/ensembles – school, college, amateur and semi-professional – are welcome to enter.
After all entries are received, a shortlist of three finalists will be chosen by a jury and materials forwarded to The Blind Boys of Alabama for their final decision.
The winning choir/ensemble will be announced by Liz Nolan on RTÉ lyric fm’s Lunchtime Classics programme on Friday, 7 January 2011, and will perform at the National Concert Hall on 31 January 2011 at 8 pm, as guest artists of The Blind boys of Alabama. It is RTÉ lyric fm’s intention, subject to the availability of facilities, to record the concert for subsequent broadcast.
The winning choir/ensemble will be responsible for their own transport to/from the venue, as well as accommodation (if required). The choir/ensemble will receive five pairs of tickets to the concert for guests, but there will be no monetary remuneration.
Email or post your entry form with the required information and materials (email preferred!) to:
Waltons World Masters
69 South Great George’s Street, Dublin 2
Entries must arrive by 5 pm on Friday, 12 November 2010. Late entries will not be accepted.
Please include the following material and information:
• A CD recording or MP3s of 2-3 pieces that best display the range and skills of your choir/ensemble.
• A list of proposed repertoire to be performed at the NCH if your choir/ensemble is chosen to perform on 31 January.
• A brief description your choir/ensemble, including history, number of members and names, musical background of members and instrumentation (if any).
• A jpeg photograph of your choir/ensemble for the competition web page(s). If possible, please include a live performance photograph as well.
• Website, Facebook or MySpace URLs, if any.
• Email and contact details of the choir/ensemble director.
• Confirmation that all performers who feature on the mp3 files/CD are available, and will be able to perform on Monday, 31 January 2011 at the NCH, if your choir/ensemble is selected.
Gospel Competition webpage